It’s been a few days since WordPress (WP) 3.4 rolled out to the masses. What do you think? The new features seem cool for those of us that like to constantly tweak our sites. As someone who uses WordPress as part of their job, the new features open up lots of possibilities, here are some of my favorites:
- Enhanced theme control
- Customize theme options before activating a new theme using Theme Customizer – If you’ve ever tried to figure out how your site would look under another theme, in the past it involve a special testing plugin or testing area. This solve that problem and gives you control over most of the elements that need to change in terms of customization.
- Use Theme Previewer to customize current theme without changing the front-end design – Always a good idea to preview your work before it’s permanently on the site.
- Custom Headers
- Improved Custom Headers with flexible sizes – As someone who as created dozens of headers while working with WordPress, this one was a “why didn’t I think of that” moment! No longer do you have to try to squeeze the clients’ information into the pre-determined size requirements. It will be interesting how people use this feature.
- Selecting Custom Header Images and Custom Background Images from Media Library Screen – This opens up the possibilities here, let the creativity begin!
- Media improvements
- Support HTML in image captions – Cool little idea, that I could see using in several different ways, not only in photo credit links, but linking photos like ideas to other posts or sites.
Also the translation additions and installation changes are welcomed changes and I’m excited to learn more about them. Let me know what you like about the latest version of WordPress?
Check out WordPress 3.4 for more details.
Until next time, Tim